Alcohol vs. the evil smog test

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Alcohol vs. the evil smog test
From: Cory Carpenter <coryc@sequent.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 93 17:31:17 -0700
I seem to recall some discussion awhile back about the idea of passing a
smog test by "adjusting" the fuel mixture through the addition of alcohol
to the gas tank.  Naturally I didn't save that thread, and now I need to
pass smog (with the Rabbit, so no LBC content).

Was there any consensus on what effect the alcohol had?  I failed the
test this morning with "excessive hydrocarbons" (2000 ppm at idle is what the
examiner recorded, although I'm not sure I believe it).  The only other
notation on the test report is 01% CO at idle -- it's not marked as a
failure, but I have no idea what the range of CO content should be (I
don't even know whether the guy meant 1% or .01%).

I'll look at the timing and check for intake and exhaust leaks, but I
don't think anything in that realm is too far out of whack.  Fixing the cat
and O2 sensor and replacing the carburetor (things I *know* are wrong) would
cost more than the car is worth, so I'm searching for alternatives to that
approach.  I guess the only bright spot is that the smog certification only
costs $10 in the PDX metro area, and you don't pay unless you pass.

Any pearls of SOL wisdom will be welcomed!

-coryc

PS: I promise a status report on the Europa in the near future.