RE: Caterham seven

To: hodsonb@prl.philips.co.uk, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Caterham seven
From: DANIELS@LMSBVX.TAMU.EDU (Lee Daniels, Texas A&M University)
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1993 13:22:51 -0500 (CDT)
Ben - if you are trying to arouse jealousy in some of us - IT'S WORKING.

I'm trying to imagine Ben's scenario:  A dissasembled car, all new, custom
paint job, with detailed assembly instructions from the manufacturer,
including a video. Shiny nuts and bolts accompanied by detailed parts
lists; only one tool as yet unpurchased - a single socket.

Hmm, all my mind can conjure up is a rusty body tub with bubbling undercoat
hanging off in pieces, supported on blocks above a stripped frame peppered
with rust holes.  An engine on a stand in the corner where it has remained
untouched for over a year, casting a shadow on the trans and diff
(dissasembled) on the floor.  Front and rear fenders hanging from hooks on
the far wall of the garage, one of them caked with bondo, standing guard
over the grimy, worn suspension parts on the floor below, next to the lawn
mower which serves as the current sink of one's mechanical skills.  A box
of brake parts, accented by a pair of clean, recently pampered calipers,
awaits a fitting partner.  A mental climb up the pull-down stairs into the
attic reveals a plethora of boxes and plastic bags, in which we can imagine
seats, guages, and a convertible top. A peek into a stack of boxes labeled
'TRF' reveals new gaskets, carpets, trim parts, and most of the stuff for
an engine rebuild.

Wait a minute, this isn't my imagination...

Lee M. Daniels - Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding - Texas A&M
   daniels@lmsbvx.tamu.edu  |  DANIELS@TAMLMSB.BITNET  |  (409) 845-3726