Brake light switches

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Brake light switches
From: gerry@hostel.lincroftnj.ncr.com
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 93 13:37 EDT
dstone@sc9.intel.com writes :
>          I thought I was stuck yesterday when I started
>     calling around for an original (screw terminal) brake
>     light switch for the Sprite, as every place I called
>     indicated the original style was expensive and
>     backordered (as opposed to the spade style which was
>     cheap & plentiful). I finally lucked onto a used one at

If your Midget brake light switch fails, there are other alternatives.
I have had 2 brake light switches fail on the Midget, because of internal
corrosion. Both of them lasted less than one year. An alternative I have
found is to use Japanese brake light switches. Not only are they cheaper
($7 vs $29), but they are sealed, heavy duty and reliable.

The one I have fitted on the Midget came from a Subaru (1980 ??). The only
proble is that you have to re-tap the hole in the pedal box (which is only
a captive nut welded to the inside of the pedal box. What I did last month
was to remove the pedal box, grind off the spot weld holding the captive bolt,
and replaced it with 2 bolts (one on either side of the pedal box which now
hold the brake light switch in place.

You may try to go to a good parts store and try and match up a brake light
switch with pictures in their parts book. What I did was go to a junk yard
and went through a couple of Japanese cars until I found one which was
physically the same same size.

> My only international experience is with parts England -> USA.  Daytune
> has sent it by Royal Post.  I have sometimes had the US Postal Service
> collect extra fees and sometimes not.  Dunno why.

Whenever I have parts sent  from England -> US I almays ask the other end
to send it by Federal Express. Itakes about 5 days, is fairly inexpensive
and all customs duties are taken care of. I just had a Corbeau seat sent,
which took less than one week, and cost $30 to have shipped. This turned out
to be about $80 CHEAPER than buying the same seat from a US distributor !!!

(Which goes to show you how much of a mark up the distributors put on )

Gerry