Capillary Temp Gauge

To: <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Capillary Temp Gauge
From: TUSLER%MP050@eccsa.Tredydev.Unisys.com
Date: 31 AUG 93 12:56
I'm back from vacation in France, where I saw many Minis, Triumphs,
a few MGs, and a late model Aston Martin ('twasn't a Lagonda, looked
more like a DB-?)
 As I left in July, TINTIN's starter was dying. I dismantled the thing
only to find that the armature was shorted to the body. No way to undo
those screws holding the armatures in. $112 later, I have a fully rebuilt
starter. But we're not off the block (Or blocks!) yet...

Well, either TINTIN (My '66 MGBGT) was running cooler and cooler, or
my temp gauge was going south. Two guesses.  Since MOSS has none in
stock, and West Valley Speedo is moving and can't do anything for two
weeks and I need my car NOW!, I decided to take the fool's route and
attempt a diagnostic and perhaps repair. Removing the Gauge (Combined
oil pressure and water temp!) I boiled some water (No, we didn't
tear bedsheets into strips!) to determine that, yes indeed, the gauge
claimed that water boils at 140 degrees.
 Immersing the entire length of the capillary tube showed evidence of
bubbles at the Sender/tube juncture. An attempt to solder it caused
bubbling at the joint, and an even worse seal, plus the smell of
diethyl ether. Soldering it with the sender immersed in an ice bath
delivered a good seal, but not a functional gauge. Apparently all of
the fluid had boiled away.
 Does anyone know what the fluid in a capillary-tube temperature gauge
is? (DiEthyl Ether?). And where can you get about 5cc of it?
 I tried Methyl Ethyl Ketone, as the solvent with the highest vapor
pressure that I had on hand, but that resulted in water boiling at
100, Farenheit (O.K., so now I have a celsius gauge?)
 And how do you recalibrate that little Bourdon tube after fiddling
with it? (I HAD to open the gauge to look at it, didn't I?)

[...]

       "Happiness is driving a car old enough and open enough
        that even driving the speed limit is a thrill!"
*Philippe Tusler - El Toro, CA             "MILOU"    '57 MGA Roadster *
*A-Mail:   <TUSLER@MP050>                  "TINTIN"   '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
*InterNet: TUSLER@MP050.MV-OC.unisys.com   "N/A"      '88 ISUZU Trooper*

From  rwg1@cornell.edu Tue Sep 11 11:42:43 2001