Re: Oh, my! What next? (MGB fan hits radiator)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oh, my! What next? (MGB fan hits radiator)
From: brein@jplpost.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Barry S Rein)
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 93 09:05:53 PDT
I've already sent this to the original poster, but I think it's of general
interest.  MGB owners should check this.

The original posting concerned the fan in an MGB hitting and damaging the
radiator.  Many years ago, when I owned a 1964 MGB, this happened to me twice
before I figured it out.

Underneath the transmission, at the rear, is a longitudinal metal rod.  The
front end is attached to a pivot which fits into a protrusion beneath the
transmission.  The tail-end is threaded, and fits into the rear crossmember.
This end is held to the rear crossmember by rubber isolators between metal
washers, all of which is pinched between nuts.

If the rubber parts are perished, or if the nuts are not adjusted properly, the
whole engine/transmission assembly can move forward on its mounts just enough
to allow the fan to hit the radiator.

In my case, a leaky transmission tailshaft seal was dripping oil onto the
rubber, accelerating its deterioration.  Subsequently, a speed bump did me in.

Barry Rein
brein@jplpost.jpl.nasa.gov