Re: Oh, my! What next? (MGB fan hits radiator)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (britcars)
Subject: Re: Oh, my! What next? (MGB fan hits radiator)
From: Paul Amaranth <amaranth@vela.acs.oakland.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1993 09:28:29 -0400 (EDT)
Dave Ambrose writes:
>>Underneath the transmission, at the rear, is a longitudinal metal rod.  The
>>front end is attached to a pivot which fits into a protrusion beneath the
>>transmission.  The tail-end is threaded, and fits into the rear crossmember.
>>This end is held to the rear crossmember by rubber isolators between metal
>>washers, all of which is pinched between nuts.
>>
>        You just jogged my memory. . . .
>
>        I don't have my catalogues in front of me,  but I believe there are
>two types of water pumps for the MGB's.  The later model pump has a slightly
>longer shaft for the plastic fan.  Installing this on an older car, like
>I did,  produces an interesting noise on deaccelleration. ;^)

More years ago than is comfortable for me to think about, I had just
replaced the engine in my MGB (a temporary insanity on my part, the B
that is :-)  When I put it in, I *thought* the fan looked a little
close to the radiator, but heck, there was clearance there.  My
girlfriend and I decided to take the car out for a test run.  We ended
up south of the airport on a pretty empty road (this was Labor Day
weekend, as well). For reasons I can't recall, I had to stop pretty
quickly whereupon we heard  that interesting noise Dave refers to.
Nice neat round hole in the radiator (now that's a *quick* way to drain
the cooling system).  We hiked a mile or so back down the road to find
a phone and, after exhausting all other possibilities, I ended up
calling my father to come out and rescue us.  While waiting for him to
show up, I proposed and she accepted.  At least she had some idea of
what she was getting into :-)

--
Paul Amaranth  Manager User Services - office: (313) 370 4541 (also voicemail)
(internet)     amaranth@vela.acs.oakland.edu  |'70 E-type (in progress)