Re: Crankshaft nut

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Crankshaft nut
From: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil (Marcus Tooze)
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 93 10:28:05 CDT
Hello all,

My engine stripping is going well. Its now down to the block with the
clutch/flywheel, oil pan, crankshaft pulley still in place.

1) I'm having a hell of a time removing the the big crankshaft nut at the front
of the engine....any suggestion?? How can I hold the crankshaft still??

2) I want to convert the valve system to 'no-lead'. There is kit in VB
for about $250 (includes valves, guides, inserts, a few gaskets, new springs)
is this a value....or am I better off buying seperates from alsewhere? The head
and train
could probably use all the things supplied in the kit...some of
the springs look noticeably compressed!

3) How can one tell if the valve train is worn? The pushrods are all straight,
and there seems to be no pitting/scoring etc. The rocker arms have shiny marks
where they have contacted with the top of the valve stem, but I can't feel
any indentations or pitting. Should I just show it to somebody with experience?
(There is a resident experienced mechanic here, but hes on TDY for 2 weeks).

All for now....I can guarantee there will be more questions after the weekend!!

Cheers.

Marcus