Re: Crankshaft nut

To: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Crankshaft nut
From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 1993 12:04:16 -0400
>> I'm having a hell of a time removing the the big crankshaft
        nut

        To get the Pulley and flywheel nuts off you need
special tool **&^%@.  Commonly known as a big piece of angle
iron (say four or five feet long).  Drill a couple of holes in
it and bolt it to the flywheel.  You might have pretty good
luck with an impact driver, but it doesn't sound like you have
access to one.

>> How can one tell if the valve train is worn? The pushrods

        A good rebuild manual will tell you how to examine your
engine for wear.  I think the most important aspect of rocker
arm wear is the side to side motion on the shaft.  The pushrods
sound like they are fine.

>>I want to convert the valve system to 'no-lead'. There is

        Either Roger Garnett or Bill Sohl has some statistics
showing little adverse effect from runnning unleaded gas in
older triumph engines.  I'm not sure what you are rebuilding,
but it probably applies there too.  If you have to replace all
that stuff anyway, I'd go with a no-lead kit.  Otherwise, I
wouldn't worry about it too much - its not that big of a deal
to pull the head off later.  As far as the Victoria British
kit goes, I don't know what else is availible.  My personal
feeling is to stick with TRF for important items.  I must admit
that all the GT6 stuff I have gotten from VB lately has been
very high quality.

woodruff@caen.engin.umich.edu