weber downdrafts...

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: weber downdrafts...
From: Imagine your logo here. 01-Oct-1993 0921 <metzger@decwet.ENET.dec.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 93 09:23:31 PDT
I'll just offer a contrary opinion to the weber stream. After fooling with my
SU's for over 2 years including numerous rebuilds, oversized throttle shafts,
grose jets, various needles and such I finally went with a weber downdraft
conversion and have been extremely satisfied. This is on a 1275 stock MG Midget.

Warm-up time is practically nil now. Just fire the car up, set the choke and
you
can release it in about 2 miles. I used to have to let the car wrm up for at
least 10 minutes in my driveway before it was driveable.

No temperature variations, When I used to use the MG in hot weather the idle
would creep up until it reached around 1700 - 2000 and it wouldn't come back
down.

No more fiddling. I haven't touched the carb since I put it on over a year ago.
Increased gas mileage and no problem passing emissions here in Washington where
they actually test at idle and again on a dynometer set up.

Maybe my carbs were to warn for R&R and a brand new set of SU's would have
cured
my ills but the cost was the same between a set of brand new SU's and a weber
conversion w/ manifold. I'm very pleased with the results....

John Metzger
metzger@decwet.dec.com