TR6 Gear Oil and Alternators

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Gear Oil and Alternators
From: Joe Flake <flake@d311510.atl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 93 15:52:30 EDT
I wanted to add comments and questions to two of the subjects being tossed
about recently.

regarding gear oil...

I checked my manuals and indeed 80-90wt GL-4 gear oil is called for at
least the TR6 variety of transmissions.  I also checked the remainder
of what I used several months ago when I did a drain/change.  I goofed!
My manual said 80-90 and listed Castrol, I grabbed Castrol at the parts
store and went to work.  I now see that what I used was GL-5 rather than
GL-4.  So, what is the difference and (more importantly) how bad have
I screwed up?  What do I do now?  Drain/change again?  Repeat?  Flush
with something?  Start pricing replacements?...

regarding alternators...

My last posting here indicated the disgusting sounds of disintegrating
bearings coming from my alternator.  I wanted to find a place to rebuild
mine since replacements appear to be "generic" rather than the various
models used in production.  I found such a place locally and was very
pleased with the results.  They rebuilt mine in just a few days, and even
cleaned and shined it in the process!  Cost was $79 which was lower than
the mailorder replacements I priced.  Locals (Atlanta) may wish to note
AllStart for future reference.  I'm not sure if they are set up to
handle ship in/out work but if you wish to contact them the details follow.
(The keeper of the Brit suppliers/servicers list may want to add this.)

        AllStart
        3119 Marjen Rd.
        Doraville, GA  xxxxx
        404-457-8050

        This is located in NE Atlanta (just inside I285, off I85 at
        Doraville/Tucker exit).  They do Starter and Generator repair
        and rebuild.  Ask for Bruce (I didn't catch his last name, but
        he speaks with a British accent, and didn't cringe when I asked
        about rebuilding a Lucas unit!).

        My original pointer to AllStart came from a local imports service
        garage.  They apparantly refer their starter/alternator work there.

        My experience with a TR6 alternator was very positive.  The work
        appears well done and turnaround was very quick.

Joe Flake
HP Norcross, GA
flake@d311510.atl.hp.com