Re: A Brake Question

To: sc5@prism.gatech.edu (CSEPLO,STEPHEN P)
Subject: Re: A Brake Question
From: pwv@tc.fluke.com (Pat Vilbrandt)
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1993 08:34:49 -0700
On Oct 6,  9:11am, CSEPLO,STEPHEN P wrote:
> Browny, my '78 MGB, has developed a grinding noise eminating from the
> brakes.  The pads were just replaced about 10k ago and the master cylinder
> was just rebuilt. It only grinds when almost stopped.

The front pads were most likely replaced with a semi-metallic variety.  It's
been the law for the past 3 years or so that asbestos cannot be used in the
brake pads of new vehicles, due to some crazy (cough!) ideas that people have
gotten that (cough!) asbestos causes (cough! cough!) lung cancer!  An effect
of this is (generic) replacement pads are tending more and more to be
semi-metallic. You can, however, still legally put asbestos-based pads on
older cars.

I would replace the pads you have on your MG now with something closer to
original equipment spec.  My experience with semi-metallic pads is that they
chew up the disks frighteningly quickly.

> I haven't had a chance to speak with my wrench about this yet, but I was
> wondering if it is anything I should really be concerned with. She
> still stops fine.

Your MG still stops fine, or your wrench??  (I just *love* a good ambiguity!)
Maybe you meant wench??  ;^)

   Pat Vilbrandt      Fluke Corporation      Everett, Washington USA
   pwv@tc.fluke.COM or: { uunet, uw-beaver, sun, microsoft }!fluke!pwv