1275 crank nut, SU vs Weber

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: 1275 crank nut, SU vs Weber
From: danb@wv.MENTORG.COM (Daniel Boughton)
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 93 13:44:29 -0700
On 1275 crank bolts: righty tighty, lefty loosey.  Yes you are going the
correct direction.  The last one I took off I had my brother stand on the
block and I wrenched the 3' breaker bar with pipe on the end.  I think
I ended up standing on it to get it loose.

On Webers versus SU carbs: I like  SU's.  I think most problems with SU's
are maintenance issues or fuel pump problems etc.  I have heard that
SU's are slightly better in the low end and slightly worse in the high
end (full race).  I have also heard they do some altitude/weather change
compensation due to the piston height being based on atmospheric
pressure.

Note that comparing Mini's to Sprites is not appropriate.  Sprites
have much more room for manifolds (both exhaust and intake) which
makes a big difference in the setup and resulting performance of
carbs.