Re: ignition switch & shocks

To: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil (Marcus Tooze)
Subject: Re: ignition switch & shocks
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1993 10:03:52 -0500 (CDT)
> p.s. Has any body had experience with shock conversions??? It seems a lot
> cheaper to go with a monroe type conversion than blow 400 bucks on a new set
> of leaver arms. (Sorry to all those purists, but when I can afford a total
>frame
> up rebuild, maybe then I'll stick to factory specs.!).

Here is a copy of a previous message:
______________________________________
DODD@ELMO.EL.WPAFB.AF.MIL writes \

\ I want to convert from the standard lever shocks to tubes on the front
of my
\ 73 Midget.

\ Where did you purchase your conversion kits?

J. C. Whitney, 312-431-6102  24-hour phone ordering.  This is the "WeRace"
unit
out of Oregon, but Whitney specs their own shocks 'cause they can buy them
cheaper than WeRace (or just about anyone else!).  You can buy the unit much
cheaper this way, and you get all the same hardware, which looks like good
stuff.

\ and for how much?

Should be about $110.  Watch for sales.

\How long did it take to install it?  (And was this your
\first job on a Midget or your fourth conversion.)

First time, easy job.  By drilling a small pilot hole from outside the inner
fender well, I was able to avoid removing the generator to drill from
inside.
This does not make sense to you now, but it will when you see the parts.  Took
me less than a full day, and I had clearance trouble because my car had been
hit before I owned it.  Tip:  Make sure the shocks they gave you are good for
the entire suspension travel.  Mine were OK.  One of our netters got a WeRace
kit from a shop in California which had shocks too long.  He had a lowered car
and broke the shock mounts on bottoming.  I had no trouble.  When your shocks
wear out, buy the replacements direct from WeRace, the phone number is
right on
the unit on a chrome-mylar label.

\ To those of you who have tried several different kits, is one better than
\ another?

The Cararra ones from Winner's Circle are surely first cabin.  But unless you
are seriously going racing, I doubt you will need them, and they cost over
twice as much.  The WeRace is so much better (and less trouble) than the
Armstrong levers that it will amaze you.

\ I have wire wheels, will this make the task easier or more difficult?

No effect on difficulty of installation.

\ Anything else I should consider?

Sure, but not for this job. :-)

\ MAD (Mark A Dodd)

The rear look pretty easy to install, although I have heard that getting
the old ones off can be rather difficult.  My rear shocks were OK, it was
the front ones that gave me fits.

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN  55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105, w (612) 266-6244 phile@stpaul.gov
"The workingman's GT-40" - Colin Chapman