'72 Spit Distributor overhaul

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: '72 Spit Distributor overhaul
From: jsmith@dsbc.icl.co.uk (Jon Smith)
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1993 18:19:58 +0100 (BST)
Hello,

I've got a '72 Spitfire and the other day I decided to investigate the very
loud binding/whistling noise from the top part of the distributor. In fact its
so loud I can hear it inside the car over the noise of the engine. I took the
tacho cable off and eliminated tha and so decided to strip the distributor
down.I've now got a number of questions that perhaps someone can help me with
(its a
Delco Remy by the way):

(1) My manual says that I should replace the advance mechanism springs as a
matter of course, but they don't seem to be stretched at all. The coils are
still very tightly bound. The question is that one is made of thick wire and
quite long, while the other is thinner and shorter. I can't see why this should
be and if its right, which way round should they go since everything else inside
seems to be symmetrical?

(2) My manual also says to replace the thrust washers. There is 0.2mm play
round the bottom thrust washer. Does this sound about right? Does it need to
be replaced. If it does I need to take the bottom dog off. I'd like to do this
anyway so that I can see how things have worn inside the body and also
lubricateit. I noticed that neither of the lubricating felts are in the thing.

(3) In order to take the bottom dog off, my manual says to "drift out the
rivet". I tried drifting it by smacking it very hard with a piece of metal and
a hammer, but it still didn't drift. Part of the problem is that I can't see
which way out it's supposed to come - the picture in my book shows that it has
a head, but I can't see which end is which.

Well, I think that's about it. Any ideas, especially on what might be causing
the noise in the first place,

Jon Smith

*       Reply to       : jsmith@dsbc.icl.co.uk                               *
*       Company        : ICL, Lovelace Rd, Berks, RG12 8TZ, UK.              *
*       Tel (external) : +44 (0)344 473807                                   *
*       Tel (internal) : (7263) 3807                                         *