bay area machine shops

To: DSTONE@sc9.intel.com
Subject: bay area machine shops
From: "Chris Kent Kantarjiev" <cak@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1993 09:09:57 PDT
The Fizzballers swear by Kaeding, over in Campbell. That was too far
for me to go for a flywheel/clutch job. I called a local one-man shop
that I've used, who said he could do it, but would rather not. He
recommended going to a industrial machine shop rather than an auto machine
shop.

I asked him who he'd used - he told me Ashland Grinding and Balancing
in Hayward. He also said that Elgin's old shop, which is now called
ToolTech or something like that, in Redwood City, has a good rep. I
grumbled about the distance to Hayward, and he said "I go there because
I know I get good work done".

OK, I call them and ask for an estimate - $75. I call Elgin's shop,
they estimate about $180. I drive to Hayward.

The place is a little hard to see from the road. Walk in, it's a large
industrial space - two-story high ceilings with skylights, four or five
lathe-derived machine tools, a counter, an office.

And a sea of crankshafts, all standing on end. Apparently they do the
balance/grind work for most of the large truck repair shops in the
area. A very impressive sight.

Anyway, they did my flywheel - it turned out it had already been
lightened, he didn't want to take any more off, so he only charged me $25.

They do complete rotating assemblies (pistons/rods/cranks) as well, and have
photos and testimonial letters from some NHRA and roundy-round racers on the
wall.

I'd go there again.