Re: Minilite wheels

To: igeta@ars.ntt.jp (Kazuhiro IGETA)
Subject: Re: Minilite wheels
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1993 08:03:19 -0500 (CDT)
Kazuhiro IGETA writes >

>     I received a fax reply from Minilite
>     that they reproduce magnesium wheels, too.
>
>     I have an old Mags, probably of Minilite, but not sure.
>     How do we recognize the originals from copies?
>     Well, it looks well aged as originals should be:-)
>     Is it reasonable/safe to restore old spotted Mags?

I'm not sure what it takes to get a true magnesium wheel to catch on fire,
but once it does, there is no putting it out.   When Tom Swindell crashed
his Formula A (5000) car at Road America years back, the the wheels glowed
forever.  The fire fighters went out each day to pour more sand on them.

So don't mess with magnesium wheels until you have checked what you want
to do with someone who knows about such things.  Not me, of course.