TR6 frame - drainage holes

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 frame - drainage holes
From: DANIELS@LMSBV2.TAMU.EDU (Lee Daniels, Texas A&M University)
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1993 21:51:25 -0500 (CDT)
Several months ago someone mentioned either cutting some extra drainage
holes in their TR6 frame or at least planning to do so.  I've been looking
at my (currently upside-down) frame and the few holes it has (the one's put
there on purpose[!]) and must agree that the number of possible dirt-and-
water-ingress holes probably overwhelms the few drainage holes.

I can tell there are several scum-retaining "partitions" inside many of the
the box-section lengths of the frame, and can guess about good locations
for extra holes.  So, while cutting out a rusted-through section (by the
rear-trailing arms - as Scotty P. knows) I tried just cutting out a round
drain hole with the cutting torch, but this really makes a pretty
messy-looking hole.  Of course, it would probably be better if the operator
knew a little more about what he was doing.  =8-o

Any suggestions on cutting a nicer-looking hole?  The *really* nice way to
do it is with the two-dies-on-a-bolt tool, but this requires having access
to both sides of the metal.   A frame shop will be looking at it shortly -
will they have a way of doing this?

Lee M. Daniels - Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding - Texas A&M
   daniels@lmsbvx.tamu.edu  |  DANIELS@TAMLMSB.BITNET  |  (409) 845-3726
      "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug."