Wire/Disc Wheel Conversion

To: "Scions of Lucas" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wire/Disc Wheel Conversion
From: "Dave Lapham" <Dave_Lapham@oakqm3.sps.mot.com>
Date: 11 Oct 1993 09:03:32 U
REPLY TO: Dave_Lapham@OAKHILL.SPS.MOT.COM          Time:  8:55 AM
Subject:    Wire/Disc Wheel Conversion             Date:  10/11/93

  First some background info, than a question --

     I've acquired a 1959 Austin-Healey 100/6 (model BN6) which
I am prepping for my entry into vintage racing.  It's a "base"
model which means it has no overdrive and no wire wheels.  It
has solid (aka "disc") wheels.  It also has drum brakes all
around.

     I have also acquired a rolling chassis from a later Big
Healey (a 1966 3000, model BJ8) which has front disc brakes.
I'd like to move the disc brakes over to the BN6, but I'm
wondering what's involved to convert the wire wheel setup from
the BJ8 to a disc wheel arrangement.  Has anyone out there gone
through this exercise?  How much stuff do I need to move over
from the BJ8?  Do I need to take the entire front suspension
(Shocks, King Pins, etc.) or is it somewhat less involved?
If I have to move the entire assembly, that's OK, the real
issue is the changeover to disc wheels.