Re: LBCs on the Tube

To: jeb@mtqua.att.com
Subject: Re: LBCs on the Tube
From: megatest!bldg2fs1!sfisher@uu2.psi.com (Scott Fisher)
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 93 10:23:35 PDT
> Last night Masterpiece Theater (should that be Theatre?) started a
> series of four new episodes of "Wooster and Jeeves" from the P. G.
> Wodehouse stories.  So what does Bertie Wooster drive?  Some kind
> of Morgan?  I'll look more closely at the next opportunity.

It's an Aston Martin.  Can't remember the designation, but Stephen
Fry so identifies it in his epilogue to one of the previous series'
episodes: "and driving that delicious Aston Martin motorcar..." For
what it's worth, I happened to see its mate for sale in Classic and
Thoroughbred Cars for a mere 35,000 pounds, and that in full vintage
racing trim.

The '20s Aston, I have to say, is the ideal car for Bertie: it's
terribly expensive, sporty without being a full-on racing car like
a K3 Magnette or a J2 Midget, and it's a two-seater unlike the
all-conquering Bentleys.  It's beautiful and frivolous, the perfect
choice for the character.

The vehicle is never identified in the books, BTW, at least not in
the Wodehouse I've read.  (I recommend Wodehouse, in small doses, to
anyone who likes the sound of nothing very much happening at great
volume and with impeccable art.  Great fun to read, but beware: I
picked up half a dozen of these books, read them all in the space
of a week or two, and spent the next month talking like Bertie Wooster.)
In the books, Bertie merely refers to taking "the sports two-seater"
out to visit his old friend in the country, where he finds... well,
you get the idea.

The older Wodehouse books, to my mind, are the best.  I'll look up
titles if anyone is interested.  And yes, for some time, The Green
Car was addressed as Jeeves ("indeed, sir.")

--Scott "Full of sound and fury, signifying, what was it, Jeeves?" Fisher