70 GT6+ blinkers, and tuneup from hell.

To: uunet!autox.team.net!british-cars@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: 70 GT6+ blinkers, and tuneup from hell.
From: cdenzler@sierra.com (Christian R. Denzler)
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1993 08:05:26 -0700
Randell, glad to hear you got your blinkers working!  On Sunday, I also
had some pretty good successes.  I cleaned and soldered all wires in the
general vicinity of the blinkers, (yes, the design of the bulb holders is
incredibly bogus), installed my new blinker switch (got a flyer from
Special Interest the day after I ordered it, they had it $20 cheaper... :-()
and to top it off, installed a REALLY HEAVY DUTY flasher unit.  This thing
should be called "Flash or Fry".  Presto, blinkers you could calibrate a
metronome by.

Last week I installed a new cap and rotor on the GT6.  I was mildly
horrified at the quality of the parts (aftermarket), and made a mental note
to get replacements "Real Soon".  Mistake number 1.  Well, the rotor lasted
until Friday afternoon, stranding me on the freeway.  The rotor had cracked
and had the classic carbon tracks following the cracks.  Lifetime: 3 days.
Mistake number 2:  I almost always carry some old tuneup parts with me in
case something like this happens.
Almost always.
  So Sunday, in addition to fixing the blinkers, I needed to get the car
running and try to sort out the missing below 2500 RPM.  I had rebuilt the
carbs the week before and assumed they were the cause of the misfiring.
  I located a Lucas rotor (no comparison to the other one, this one fit)
and an aftermarket cap from a different manufacturer that looked pretty
sound.  Replaced those, points, condensor (never had one fail before, but
what the hell) and she was running again.  I took a test drive, and as it
warmed up, there was the miss again.
  The plugs looked good, but for some reason I bought a new set (they were
only 2000 miles old)  and specified NON-RESISTOR plugs to replace the
resistor plugs I had been sold before.

YES!  It was the plugs!  I must have had one or possibly 2 bad plugs.  The
funny thing was, the color was really consistent between the 6.  Go figure.

                                     - Chris