TR6 frame - drainage holes, GT6 left hand stalls

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: TR6 frame - drainage holes, GT6 left hand stalls
From: paisley@central.bldrdoc.gov (Scott W. Paisley 303-497-7691)
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 93 17:09:27 MDT
Lee Daniels, Texas A&M University writes:
 > Several months ago someone mentioned either cutting some extra drainage
 > holes in their TR6 frame or at least planning to do so.  I've been looking

That was me (I think) and yes, I was "planning" on doing so.  I
figured living in Colorado with 15% humidity would be better than
drain holes...  Besides, I've got many many other things begging for
attention.  :-)

 > for extra holes.  So, while cutting out a rusted-through section (by the
 > rear-trailing arms - as Scotty P. knows) I tried just cutting out a round
 > drain hole with the cutting torch, but this really makes a pretty
 > messy-looking hole.  Of course, it would probably be better if the operator
 > knew a little more about what he was doing.  =8-o

Well, in one place on my frame we just used a body hammer with the
pointy end and smacked a hole through the rust!  It looked great!  Of
course this was temporary until we cut out that section.

 > Any suggestions on cutting a nicer-looking hole?  The *really* nice way to

I was just going to use drill bits, and work up to a 1/2" bit.  I
dunno if this would work or not, but I think it would, the only
drawback is that you can only go as big as the bits you have.

Larry Snyder writes:

 > Environmental Conditions: Cool, about 50 degrees F. Raining and wet.

 > My keen mind then figured out that the car ran great unless I turned
 > left. I left the lot and made my way to work on back streets. There
 > was one fairly sharp left on one street, and even when I slowed down,
 > it coughed and sputtered and finally died on that curve. After
 > stopping, I started it again and zoomed off!

Is the distributor solid?  Perhaps on the left hand turns, the
distributor tilts over and loses ground or just plane can't operate in
that position...  This means that it would have to be very loose.  At
any rate, I would be on them electrics... You did have gas right? :-)
The only other solution for Left hand stalls is to add some balast to
the left wing, or add a small tab in the down position on the right
wing.  This will keep the left wing from going into a stall keeping
the nose of the airplane down and, ...  oops..  wrong group.  :-)

Cheers,

-Scotty