MGA Starter Question

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGA Starter Question
From: Paul Tonizzo _DTN 631-7107 13-Oct-1993 0844 <tonizzo@trooa.enet.dec.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 93 05:53:52 PDT
        I pulled the starter on my MGA back a couple of months ago and took it
 apart to do some cleaning/checking.  The brushes were in superb shape so I
 really didn't have to do much.  I put it back on the engine and it seemed to
 work fine (cranked a little on the slow side though).
        I didn't use the starter again until yesterday.  It had a really hard
time turning over the engine, then flat out did nothing.  I then noticed a
small puff of smoke from the starter and then it was totally dead.  The only
thing I can attribute to this is one of the brush wires was slightly broken
(possibly only 60% effective) and burned out.  I haven't taken it out again
yet but was wondering if this could be causing the problem.  I guess I should
have changed the brushes/wires the first time but didn't think the slightly
broken wire would cause a problem.  Any ideas?

        Thanks in advance,

        Paul