LBC's in Portugal

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: LBC's in Portugal
From: gerry@hostel.lincroftnj.ncr.com
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 93 09:06 EDT
Just returned from 10 days vacation in Portugal and was disappointed by the
lack of "classic" British cars.

Saw 1 Spitfire, no Triumphs, no MG's (except for modern MG's - like the
MG Metro/Maestro), no "classic" Jags.

However there were Mini's EVERYWHERE, from the old sliding window variety
to the new Coopers. One thing that I did notice on the older Mini's (from the
'70's), was that they had 12" RoStyle wheels. I saw at least 10 Mini's with
these wheels, so they must have been original equipment.

Lots of MG 1100's, and quite a few Cortina's Mk II's.
What really surprised me was that almost all of these cars were in fairly
good shape, ie there was no rust, although the older one's could use a bit
of TLC.

If you are into Land Rovers, then this is the place for you - lots of
Discovery's with the Turbo Diesel engine, good looking car - probably the
best looking Sport Utility Vehicle I have seen. Quite a few Range Rovers,
but only the 2-door variety (saw NO 4 door versions), and a lot of
Defenders (both the 90 and the 110).  I took a close look at the Defenders,
which still seem to be tough as nails, although it has been "modernized"
quite nicely while keeping the classic look of the Land Rover. They not sport
wind up front windows, a modern dash layout and proper seats with the
headrests !!!

Gerry

From  rwg1@CORNELL.EDU Tue Sep 11 11:54:42 2001