Mint TR8 for sale

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Mint TR8 for sale
From: James TenCate <jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1993 22:05:28 -0500
1981 mint TR8 for sale:

Mark Campbell lucked out and got his hands on a 3000 mile,
never-titled 1981 TR8.  The original owner got it (and a TR7 Spider
and several MGBs) from the dealership in Houston just before BL
closed shop.  The original owner finally parted the collection
out and a second guy got the TR7 and TR8 (no, I don't know where
all the B's went).  This second guy decided to unload the wedge
cars recently and Mark got to him before anyone else did.  The
TR7 is already gone ($7500!) and Mark got the TR8.  Now Mark is
feeling the need for cash so he wants to sell the 8.  NO, I'm not
getting any $$$ out of this posting except knowing I've found the car
a good home AND a potential TR8CCA member!  YES, I've driven the car
and looked it over VERY closely.  Here's what I know.

Details:
(0)  Has the original window sticker and all manuals.
(1)  Yes, it really DOES have only 3100 miles (from everything I've seen).
(2)  It's Pendelican White with Tan interior and a beautiful copper coloured
     hood (convertible top) with black piping.  Build date:  May 1981
(3)  Interior is perfect.  I see no flaws anywhere.  The cigarette lighter
     has never even been put into its socket.  Factory radio.  Working
     air conditioning too!
(4)  Exterior, alas, isn't perfect.  You see, a COW must've tried to mate
     with it sometime in the car's life.  The entire passenger side has been
     bumped in at various points.  However, Mark has the sense to have
     the body work done by a VERY competent guy (which is happening now,
     even as you probably read this).  It may be that many of the bumps
     in the panels/doors can be removed without repainting.  Hope so!
     I forgot to tell you that the car lived in a barn most of its life
     and hence the COW problem.
(5)  The trunk matting has a small hole eaten(?) in the corner.  The
     original battery hold down is missing.  Otherwise everything's
     there, including the tool kit.
(5)  The computer (ECU) was troublesome but not any more!  I fixed it :-)
     Cold solder joints.  The usual TR8CCA fix worked again.  One more
     fuel injected car on the road again.
(6)  Gearbox is a little notchy, even with the new GM synchromesh tranny
     fluid.  Probably gummed up somewhat after sitting for so many years.
     May loosen up as the car gets driven a bit more.

That's it.  I've told you all the good and all the bad.  I've actually
driven the car.  It really was nice to drive a "new" TR8.  It's MUCH
tighter than mine.  The seats are still nice and firm, the dash doesn't
creak at all, everything is still shiny new :-)  :-)  :-)  I had a blast.
It's a beautiful car.  The original tires are a little slippery though :-)
It's the kind of car you always dream about finding in some little old
lady's garage and she only wants $500 or so for it...

Bottom line:  $13K

Is it worth it?  Probably.  With very little work, you too could have
a concours-winning car and a great new Triumph sitting in your garage.
Me?  I like to fix up trash heaps and transform them into concours winners.
Besides, it's too rich for my blood and our budget.  Besides, the TR6 still
isn't done :-)

Mark's phone number is  512-388-0700

Feel free to write me back if you have any other questions.
L8er,
jim

jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu