Re: Rover V-SIX (not 8)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rover V-SIX (not 8)
From: drabik@solaris.gatech.edu (Timothy J. Drabik)
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 93 10:07:47 EDT
Dear fellow SOLs,

Much thanks to Scott F. for the interesting posting on the Rover V6
rally motor, and to Marcus and Paul for the follow-ons, parts of which
appear below.

> From: megatest!bldg2fs1!sfisher@uu2.psi.com (Scott Fisher)
> Anyway, some other details about this motor.  It is in fact the 3.5L V8
> with two cylinders lopped off; displacement is something like 2.8L.
> Four cams, programmable P.I., ...
> Anyway, consider that this motor uses the same engine mounts as the
> Rover 3.5L V8, is the same width (modulo the outboard cams), not much
> higher once you account for the tunnel ports of the fuel injectors,
> and of course is shorter, lighter, and puts out roughly twice the
> power.  I want one in my MGB.  Hell, I want one in *all* my cars.
> (Yeah, a 122S with a 280-bhp four-cam V6, that'd be sweet...)
>
> --Scott

> From: pgarside@acorn.co.uk (Paul Garside)
> Sorry to disappoint you, but this is more likely to be the Honda 2.7 V6
> Rover use in the  800-Series (827), which you may know as Sterling, of
> blessed memory. Rover and Honda have a 20% cross-shareholding and Rover use
> a number of Honda engines (1.6 single and twin cam and the V6, I believe) in
> their range. They are gradually being replaced by derivatives of the
> excellent all-alloy Rover K-Series 4-cylinder 16-valve twin cam - a V6 is
>planned
> soon - as Rover can make engines more cheaply.
>
> Paul.

I would guess that what I saw was indeed the Honda 2.7, because this
was recent sales literature, and it did go into the 800-series Rovers.

However, new questions are now raised.  Namely, does anyone make OHC heads
for the Rover V8?  Seems possible if that was done for the 3/4 version.

Also, will the new Rover V6 be as compact as the V8, and when will it be
available?

                Regards,
                Tim