Antifreeze

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Antifreeze
From: James TenCate <jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1993 21:27:05 -0500
This question has been addressed briefly on this list a while back but
I think I have something new to add so here we go again...
(sorry if you've seen this before Lee but I gotta ask again :-)

On the side of my Prestone jug of antifreeze it says something about disposal
in sanitary sewer systems (e.g., toilet or sink as long as you're not on septic)
is OK (but check with local authorities first).  Well, I checked with my
local authorities and got a BIG run-around;  city governments are really
bad here in TX.  Basically I got two answers:  "Sure, no problem" and
"Certainly not!  Take it to hazardous waste."  Here's the first question:
Does anyone know whether wastewater treament plants CAN handle antifreeze?
What the scoop here?  Anyone know?  Meanwhile, I'm trying to find someone
here in Austin that REALLY knows and keep taking my used stuff to QuickLube.
I must confess that I HAVE poured a gallon of fairly new antifreeze/water
down the toilet a while back and I'm now getting that horrific feeling
that I did something BAD!

Second comment is more interesting.  Here in Austin (and probably elsewhere)
is a product called Sierra, touted as a safer, biodegradeable antifreeze.
All it really is is propylene glycol and not etheylene glycol.  Propylene
glycol won't kill you (or your dog or kid) if you swallow some.  It's also
supposed to have superior corrosion protection AND a 50/50 solution is
good down to -27F.  It's not too much more expensive than normal antifreeze
either.  Sounds too good to be true, especially down here in TX where it's
hot and it's hard to keep British-car-coolant INSIDE the engine where it
belongs.  Anyone heard anything BAD about propylene glycol?  Wonder how
it would work with RedLine WaterWetter?

Anyway, it sounds good to me.  My TR6 is getting new coolant soon and
I think I'll be trying out this Sierra stuff.  I'll keep everyone posted.

L8er,
jim