Re: Antifreeze

To: jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (James TenCate)
Subject: Re: Antifreeze
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1993 08:18:37 -0500 (CDT)
James TenCate <jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu writes >

> On the side of my Prestone jug of antifreeze it says something about
> disposal
> in sanitary sewer systems (e.g., toilet or sink as long as you're not on
> septic)
> is OK (but check with local authorities first).  Well, I checked with my
> local authorities and got a BIG run-around;  city governments are really
> bad here in TX.  Basically I got two answers:  "Sure, no problem" and

That is the answer you will get here in the Twin Cities.  The Metropolitan
Waste Control Commission (which gets most of the funds I collect for sewer
use) says they can process it here.

> "Certainly not!  Take it to hazardous waste."

Here in Ramsey county, they will tell you dump it in your toilet.

Nobody has given me a straight answer on brake fluid, though.

> Second comment is more interesting.  Here in Austin (and probably elsewhere)
> is a product called Sierra, touted as a safer, biodegradable antifreeze.
> All it really is is propylene glycol and not ethylene glycol.

Haven't seen it here.

> All it really is is propylene glycol and not ethylene glycol.  Propylene
> glycol won't kill you (or your dog or kid) if you swallow some.

Neat.  It this stuff maybe the stuff for RV water systems?

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans St, Saint Paul, MN  55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105  w (612) 266-6244    phile@stpaul.gov
Disclaimer: I speak for the City only in matters of sewer charges.