No oil leaks? haHA!

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: No oil leaks? haHA!
From: dan parslow <DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1993 10:02:13 -0700 (MST)
RadsickT <radsickt@lablink.ple.af.mil> writes:

> I'd like to welcome myself back to the list from a bout with
> strep throat (103 temp for four days! Yuck!)

I suggest B12 Chemtool carburettor spray.  Get the car up to
its normal operating temperature, remove the air cleaner and
spray lightly from a distance of about a foot straight into
the throats.  The car will stagger slightly if you blow too
much in at once, but this should deal with that nasty ol'
strep throat problem, which is endemic to SUs of certain years.

103 temp?  I assume you mean Celsius.  Again, all that strep
in the throats is causing the car to run lean, which causes
the heating problem :)

Anyway... a few weeks ago I dropped the boastful aside into a
posting that my Spit had never lost a drop of oil.  Well, this
weekend I installed a new oil cooler.  Looking around for a
good install point I decided to sling it from the underside of
the shroud in front of the rad.  This spot provides good airflow
through and around it, and makes it parallel to the slant
radiator.

Trouble is, this is about 6 inches higher than the usual install
point, which is great for keeping it out of the way of stones,
but meant the lines weren't quite long enough.  I found a way
to route them that worked, but brought the return within 1/2"
of the fan belt.   Well, "a miss is as good as a mile", I thought
foolishly.  Needless to say, under high operating pressure, the
hose stiffened, and you guessed it, brought it into contact with
the belt.

Five miles later I had pulled into a service station, and The Car
That Never Leaks was calmly depositing a five foot puddle on their
lovely pristine car park.  Fortunately the young pump jockey on
duty was good enough to break the rools and loan the tools so I
could get the cooler out of the system, top up the oil and drive
home.  I knew he'd have to clean up the mess, so I tipped him
like a sheik for his trouble.   Just goes to show, if you have
a wooden dash, knock on it when you make your boasts!

Cheerio,
Dan