VALSPAR paint on cars...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: VALSPAR paint on cars...
From: a.wooten@genie.geis.com
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 93 00:45:00 BST
   I called VALSPAR in Rockford, Illinois, today and talked to a very know-
ledgeable gent named Les (who has been with VALSPAR for 35 years...) about
the conversations that have been going on here.
   Les told me that VALSPAR no longer makes an enamel suitable for automo-
tive applications, due to a lack of market demand.  He also reminded me that
the old enamel finishes on cars were _baked_ on after application, and that
air-drying is a whole different ball game!  The current enamels, while hard,
are also brittle!
   Their enamels are very good for kitchen cabinets, etc., are compatible
with an oil base primer, and may even work for something like a garden
tractor, but are definitely _not_ recommended for metal auto bodies!  The
main differences with auto paints, he said, are in the flexibility of the
paint and the rate of oxidation with exposure, neither of which would be
good on a car with their current pro-ducts.  He strongly recommended acrylic
lacquers or enamels, professionally applied with a spray gun!
   Sergio, he said that in Australia VALSPAR markets a marine enamel, made
especially for application to fiberglass and aluminum (boat!) surfaces.  The
surface has to be prepped with an acid etch to raise it for paint adhesion,
followed by a vinyl zinc-chromate wash primer, and then followed by the
actual paint application.
   I am thinking of painting my old TR3A, so I have been following these
conversations with a high degree of interest!  Based on this information,
however, I will probably go back to saving up for a pro spray job rather
than running down to my local paint store!

        -Tony in WI
        Drive Carefully!