Z-S Carb help needed

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Z-S Carb help needed
From: "GERONIMO, SC9-32, 765-4903, PAGE 231-6612" <GENDIMEN@T12SYS.intel.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 93 07:40:20 PDT
Well, I finally got around to attempt to adjust my newly rebuilt Z-S carbs on
the GT6.  It started right up, but ran very rough and I had to keep blipping
the throttle to keep it idling.  When it stalled, gas started dripping out of
the throats.  Pulled the bowls and readjusted the float position, they were set
at ~18mm, so I bumped it up to ~21mm.  No more gas coming out.  Turned the idle
screws just about all the way in and it would stay running (barely) but still
rough.  Pulled off one of the manifold vacuum lines and the idle jumped up and
it idled OK now.   Looks like a real rich mixture.  Leaned the needle
adjustments all the way out.  When I raise the front carb piston, the idle
goes up a bit and back down (which is how it should be).  When I raise the rear
carb piston 1/4-1/2", the idle goes way up about 800 rpm and stays there,
indicating a very rich mixture on that carb.  The carbs were rebuilt by Apple
Hydraulics and Bob there suggested checking the float level again or the jet
may not be pressed far enough into the body and I could tap the jet in a bit
farther with a valve guide or something similar, which will lean out the
mixture.  He'll go over them once more if I ship them back but I'd rather try
to get it going here and avoid the hassle of removing them and all that.
Anyone have any other suggestions as to what I can check or adjust??  BTW,
they're emission type CD150's and the needle movement is OK.

Mike G.