Moribund GT6

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Moribund GT6
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1993 10:13:35 -0400 (EDT)
> Larry Snyder relates non-starting GT6 woes and asks if the symptoms could
> be caused by the timing chain jumping a few teeth.

It seems possible.  If it has, then the valve timing will be off.
Depending on how much, the engine will run badly or not at all.

Clues:  When you crank it over, does it sound syncopated (can't think of a
better description)?  Have you checked the compression?  Does it cough
back through the carburetor?

Crude check for loose timing chain:  Remove the distributor cap, and watch
the rotor.  Turn the engine in the normal direction of rotation with a
ratchet on the crank nut (easier if you remove the spark plugs).  Then
reverse the rotation and determine how many 1/4 turns of the crank take
place before the rotor reverses.  If there is little slack in the chain,
the rotor will reverse shortly after the engine.  If there is a lot of
slack, the rotor will just sit there and stare at you for a bit while the
crank is reversed.  I forget just how much slack (in terms of turns
backward before the rotor starts to move) is acceptable; I seem to recall
that if the rotor sits there while the crank is turned more than 1/4 turn,
the chain is probably too loose.  My brother, who is an independent
mechanic in St. Louis, will tell you for sure what is likely to be
acceptable (Ed Gibbons, (314) 965-9251).  Tell him I said to call and ask
him, and he probably won't bill you.  He is a car guy, too, though he
likes big american iron.  If you call him, please post the answer so 50
people don't call him to ask.

Ray "transplanted from Missouri to Vermont, and not likely to come
back to MO until the state is air conditioned" Gibbons