TR3 rebuild update

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 rebuild update
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 93 09:43:46 -0700
Slowly the once & future TR3A project is starting to move along again.
The TS775519L's bodytub (attached to frame) is going into the paint shop
tomorrow.  Their job is to paint the tub and put a new undercoat on.  When she
comes back, I will be able to start hanging parts onto the body that do not
fit onto the outer skin. (I plan to have the entire outside painted after I
get the wings, front valence, bonnet & boot lid on). With any luck, I will be
able to pick her up the following Saturday.

The engine is completely disasembled and is at the machine shop.  The crank &
rod journels are bring taken down .010"  New small end bushings are being
fitted and the pistons are being aligned to the rods.  The engine is being
balanced. The scrolling on the crank is being removed to fit a rear lip seal.
  I expect to pick the parts up a week from today.

The oil pump just came back from British Frame and Engine.  Ken said the
rotors looked new, but it needed clearencing (which he did).  So the oil
pump is ready to go back in.

I am currenly planning to let Greg Solo at the Engine Room build up the engine
to the Long block stage.  That way I can be sure the spacings on everything
is correct and that the cam is dead on. I also want him to check over the
distributer.  My head has .060" off and has had the shrouding removed from
around the intake valve.  This will require some grinding on the lip
of the barrels & I am unsure about how to properly do this.  Greg handles
these all the time (he builds up racing engines for Morgans).
Also, since he works with Morgan Sports models all the time, I'm planning
to have him go through my new DCOEs and put is best guess proper jets and
venturies into them (Yes I know SUs are probably a better choice, but I
JUST GOTTA have a car with DCOEs).

The engine is scheduled to go in for assembly the the Monday after I pick the
engine parts up from the machine shop & the painted tub up from the painter.

I pulled out the interior kit & dusted it off - This is getting exciting!

QUESTIONS:

Anyone know a place in the south SF Bay area that does sand blasting? I have
more rust on my seat back& bottoms than my little blaster can deal with in a
weekend.  Does anyone know of a sand blasting place in the Santa Cruz area
open on Saturday?

Anyone know a place in South SF Bay area that does polishing?  I would like to
get my intake manifolds, and cast aluminum sump polished before mounting.

Lastly, anyone know a good Aluminum beater in my area that I can take a
Land Rover wing to so that they could beat some minor creases out?

I jsut can't wait until I get my TR back to where I was going to tare it
down to!!!

TeriAnn

TeriAnn Wakeman             Any thoughts expressed above are mine
twakeman@apple.com          Unless they are worth anything.  Then they
LINK: TWAKEMAN              become the property of my employer.
408-974-2344        TR3A - TS775519L, MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, 109 - 164000561