Advice on Rover V8

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (britcars)
Subject: Advice on Rover V8
From: Paul Amaranth <amaranth@vela.acs.oakland.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1993 08:36:52 -0400 (EDT)
Rhetorical question of the day: Why is it that every time I have a
teensy little repair on my TR8, the car gets laid up for weeks?

The thermostat failed (closed) in my '8 about a week and a half ago.
No problmem, I thought, just get one in from TRF overnight and away
I go again.  Well, the thermostat came in overnight, but one of the
thermostat housing bolts broke off while taking the housing off.
This is bad news.  (Here's a thought: maybe antifreeze is really the
magic elixar to permanently bond steel and aluminum :-)

Anyway, I now have the intake manifold off and it's going to a shop
to have the bolt extracted.  Now I'm looking for advice on putting
the thing back together.  Anyone have any hints or suggestions on
putting the intake manifold back on?  What kind of, and where should
I put, the gasket adhesive?  (For those unfamiliar with the engine,
this gasket is a large thin metal sheet that not only seals the intake
and water cooling passages, but also covers the the top of the "V"
where the push rods are located, really bad news if it leaks).

--
Paul Amaranth  Manager User Services - office: (313) 370 4541 (also voicemail)
(internet)     amaranth@vela.acs.oakland.edu  | Amaranth's Law of Economics: