Re: Alabama junkyard

To: flake@d311510.atl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Alabama junkyard
From: tjhiggin@alpine.b17a.ingr.com (T.J. Higgins)
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 93 13:44:16 CDT
Joe Flake writes:
> Sunday's Atlanta paper had an interesting article titled "Dwindling
> junkyards can still fill auto restorers' needs for car parts." [...]
>
> Of interest to this group (especially T.J. or others in Alabama?)
> might be the following (copied here without permission from the
> Atlanta Journal/Constitution):
>
>       One of the best of the remaining junkyards in Alabama
>       is in Piedmont, a small town in the north-eastern part
>       of the state.  There, miles away from any large population
>       base, is Merrill Cars and Parts, a mecca for people
>       rebuilding foreign cars.

I've heard of this place several times from club members, but I've
never been there.  That may change next spring, though.  A club outing
being considered is a trip to a factory in Gadsden (or is it Anniston?)
that builds Cobra replicas.  [I beseech Roland's forgiveness...]
Anyway, Piedmont is near both those towns, so a side trip may be in
order.

>From the map, it appears that Piedmont is actually closer to Atlanta
than to Huntsville (Hsv to Piedmont is at least 80 miles).  If a
miracle occurs and we do organize a trip next year, perhaps some
Atlanta SOL's would be interested in meeting us at a junkyard in the
middle of nowhere?
--
T.J. Higgins     | tjhiggin@ingr.com         | (205) 730-7922
Intergraph Corp. | Mapping Sciences Division | Huntsville, AL, USA