Refinishing a spitfire wood dash?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Refinishing a spitfire wood dash?
From: Jeremy DuBois <dubs_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1993 11:58:40 -0400 (EDT)
  Anybody have any experience refinishing the wood dash on a Spitfire 1500?
(Or I suppose any car with a wood dash).
The varnish on mine is cracked and worn, but the wood looks ok under it.
  I figured I could go to the hardware store and buy a wood refinishing kit,
but is this the right move? Is that going to get my anywhere near an
authentic finish? Is it really difficult to get it right?
  Information, or pointers to information would be apreciated.

                                                Jeremy DuBois
                                                CIF Associate Member
                                                University of Rochester, NY