Copper Vs. Gasoline-wrap up

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Copper Vs. Gasoline-wrap up
From: DEHAASM@NAPC-1.NAVY.MIL
Date: Tue 26 Oct 93 10:36:54-EDT
When I originally posted this subject header my initial concern was to
find out if there was some chemical reaction between the witches brew
of pump gasoline and the copper piping I used in delivering fuel from
the tank to the engine.  However, all concerns mailed to me indicated that
copper was not I good idea because of cracking and other physical
failures.  The copper tubing I used is half hard temper copper which
meets ASTM standard B75 for general purpose plumbing and automotive
uses.  Just to point out though, any metal tubing would fail if it was
secured at one end with respect to the other and the other end moved
from engine vibration etc.  At the engine bay I use flexible hose to
connect the stationary side of the fuel delivery to the engine manifold.
Copper tubing has the advantage of resisting corrosion better than
steel tubing over the long haul.  Thats why older houses used copper
tubing instead of steel to pipe water.

Thanks for the responses.

Mark deHaas
dehaasm@napc-1.navy.mil