Bondo history

To: (~b-c)
Subject: Bondo history
From: whs70@cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 26 Oct 1993 10:34 EDT
Roland D. wrote:
 Plastic fillers and putties were used for body repairs
and customizing regularly in the '60s.

Roland

My first car was a 1950 Ford convertible which I began to "customize"
before I had my license in 1958.  At that time, fibreglass/bondo
fillers had just been available for maybe a year or so.  All the
Hot rod magazines went through the debate over "bondo" vs.
lead for repairs and customizing.  Clearly, bondo won
out do to its general ease of use, etc.

Anyway, that puts the "when did bondo appear?" question in
a little more specific detail.

Obligatory LBC content:  My forever long term restoration project
TR-3A has bondo on the rear section, having been hit in 1965.
That stuff is still in generally solid shape.

Cheers,
Bill