Re: Spar poly

To: Mark_Banaszak-Holl@brown.edu
Subject: Re: Spar poly
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 93 11:45:23 pdt
> Date: Thu, 28 Oct 93 07:37:59 -0400
> To: british-cars@autox.team.net
> From: Mark_Banaszak-Holl@brown.edu
> Subject: Spar poly
>
> >When I refinished my TR6 dash I did much the same as Scott except I
> >went with a Spar Polyurethane and was just careful around the holes in
>
> Spar polyurethane......  this is the stuff designed for the wood parts of
> ships rigging,
> definitely designed for outdoor use and very tough stuff.

The important thing is how does the finish stand up to direct sunlight.
As I mentioned earlier, spar varnish get kind of milky and yellowish
fairly rapidly when exposed to sunlight.  It still holds up reasonably
well but probably isn't suitable for a wood dash finish.

What you want is something that maintains is clearness even after long
exposure to sunlight.  Sunlight is a great oxidizer.