Re: GT6 diff woes

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GT6 diff woes
From: "GERONIMO, SC9-32, 765-4903, PAGE 231-6612" <GENDIMEN@T12SYS.intel.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 93 11:37:10 PDT
>I recently replace my 3.89 diff with the 3.27 in my '70 GT6 with OD.  I have
>found this to be an excellent replacement.  The 3.27 diff are much more readily
>available.  Often you can find a parts car at a very reasonable price.

I found the opposite to be true, the 3.89s are readily available, but the 3.27s
were pretty rare, I found my 3.27 diff at a yard in Georgia after many phone
calls.  Also note that although most of the GT6 diffs have six spring hold down
studs, the very late '73s w/o OD have a 3.27 diff with four hold down studs and
a different spring and mounting plate.  Very similar to a Spit, but with 3.27
gears.  This what I had in mine originally, but I switched it to the earlier 6
stud type with a matching spring, the 4 stud 3.27 diffs are  impossible to
find.  It may be possible to put 3.27 gears in a Spit rear though???

>You should be able to find a junk yard diff for around $250, rebuilding will
>depend on the extent of the damage, but could be as much as $800.

The one  I bought had bad carrier bearings, but the gears were good.  If the
gears are shot in a used GT6 diff, it's almost worthless.

Mike G.