Re: Sworking accessory

To: pgarside@acorn.co.uk (Paul Garside)
Subject: Re: Sworking accessory
From: jerry@tr2.com
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1993 09:03:42 +0000 (GMT)

> I've just had this wonderful idea for a sworking accessory: A couple of
> beefy metal hoops you bolt around your car (attached to the jacking points,
> for example). You can then (with the help of a couple of friends) drain your
> fluids and roll the car up on its  side, or even right over onto its roof,
> so that you can easily weld the floor pan, change your exhaust/ universal
> joints/diff etc. Kids, don't do this if you live on a hill! Has this been
> done before? Do you know where you can get such a thing?

*** Something  like that is described in ``How to Restore Your Collector Car''
by  Tom Brownell.  His jig uses a set wheels fittin the car in question. You
take a wheel and cut it in half, leaving two semicircles.  Then you weld each
semicircle to one of the remaining wheels.  Now you have an arrangement that
gives two semicircular pieces jutting out the side of the car, when you bolt
these two guys on in place of the car's regular wheels.

   But wait, kids, that's not all!  Now you need to weld  a four-foot long
steel bar to each of the semicircular half-wheels ( the ones that you welded
to the two good wheels ) such that the bar is parallel with the whole-wheel
part.  That is, the whole wheel that you welded the half-wheel to.

  Now you need to sacrifice yet two more wheels.  These are welded to a
another piece of steel channel stock, separating them at just the right
distance  to bolt onto the other side of the car.

  After you put the wheels-with-half-wheels-and-channel-stock-stands on
one side of the car, and the wheels-welded-toghether-with-channel-stock
on the other side of the car, you just grab the wheels-welded-together-
with-channel-stock side with a hoist, and the car  turns up onto its side
on the semicircles-welded-to-the-wheels until it rest on the channel-stock
welded-to-the-semicircles.  Whew!  All I can say, is don't try to build
the thing from my description, go get the book!

  I wish I had a scanner:  truly, one picture is worth a thousand words :-).
                                          - Jerry
--
* Jerry Kaidor       jerry@tr2.com, jkaidor@synoptics.com     *
*                    KF6VB                                    *