Re: Sworking accessory

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, pgarside@acorn.co.uk
Subject: Re: Sworking accessory
From: khazad!briton!bownes@uu.psi.com (Robert M. Bownes III)
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 93 10:21:33 EDT
->
->I've just had this wonderful idea for a sworking accessory: A couple of
->beefy metal hoops you bolt around your car (attached to the jacking points,
->for example). You can then (with the help of a couple of friends) drain your
->fluids and roll the car up on its  side, or even right over onto its roof,
->so that you can easily weld the floor pan, change your exhaust/ universal
->joints/diff etc. Kids, don't do this if you live on a hill! Has this been
->done before? Do you know where you can get such a thing?
->
        Must not be a mech-E or a physics major...:-}

        The 'beefyness' of such hoops would have to be rather substantial, lest
they
collapse. And 'rather substantial' means too heavy to move unaided.

        But someone has come up with a similar idea. Basically tow tall engine
stands placed
on either end of the vehicle. You bolt them to the bumpers, raise the car into
the satand,
and then you can rotate it like a BBQ spit. I think sfisher and co used one to
paint an MGB tub
a while back....

        When we (ATA) worked on the project Spitfire, we removed the engine and
rolled the
car onto its side on a number of tires. Seemed to work just fine. Took 5 guys
to do it...

iii