hot TR3As

To: <british-cars@autox.team.net>, <sundeen@sask.usask.ca>
Subject: hot TR3As
From: <amace%sedofis%sed.bitnet@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 93 14:40:33 EST
=========================     COOL                     =======================

  Glenn Sundeen writes:
  >I have a 1961 TR3A which despite all my efforts continues
  >to run too hot, even in cooler weather
  >I even had the Radiator re-cored and it seems to have
  > made no difference.

  A couple of thoughts come to mind:

  1. Is the original  fibreboard  shrouding  (or  a  reasonable
  facsimile  thereof)  still  in  place behind the grille? Many
  wide-mouth TR people (I meant the cars are  wide  mouth,  not
  necessarily  the  people)  tell  me  that  it really helps to
  direct air to the radiator. TR2 and TR3 owners  do  not  have
  this problem with the older-style front apron.

  2. I have found over many years that even chemical flushes do
  not always get everything out of the engine block,  crudwise.
  One  trick  I  learned is to actually remove the draincock on
  the block (or plug for some  later  cars)  and  probe  around
  inside  the hole. It's amazing what will hide in there! After
  performing said minor surgery on TR3A, GT6+ and 216.5  c.i.d.
  Chevy  six  engines,  each  ran  significantly  cooler (10-20
  degrees).

  Good luck.

  Andy -two postings in one day? I'd better get back  to  work-
  Mace