Herald-based chassis info

To: <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Herald-based chassis info
From: <amace%sedofis%sed.bitnet@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 93 14:40:01 EST
=========================     UPRIGHT                  =======================

  Roger Garnett writes:
  >So, can one of you Herald chassis experts
  >lay out the history/usage of parts?

  I suppose that means I'm elected,  since,  as  Herald/Vitesse
  Consultant  for  the  Vintage Triumph Register, I have helped
  millions of SC owners (well, thousands,  OK,  actually  200+)
  with  whatever  advice  I  can provide. I don't have books in
  front of me here at work, but if memory serves:

  There are several different uprights and spindles,  depending
  on  the  vehicle.  I  am told that Formula Junior-type owners
  actually prefer the early Herald upright, which has an  extra
  reinforcing  rib  cast  into  it; not all the later ones have
  this. Spindles are different for: 1. Herald w/drum brake;  2.
  Herald & Spitfire w/disk brake; 3. Vitesse/GT6. The last uses
  a different set of wheel bearings; most Herald  and  Spitfire
  (and some TRs) use the same bearings.

  The  early Heralds with optional disk brakes used (I think) a
  bolt-on adaptor for the caliper; this may also have been used
  on  early  Spitfire  4s.  Most Spitfires, though, share the a
  common upright and spindle up to end of production.  Spitfire
  4  and  Mk.2 used one type of caliper. This was superseded on
  the Mk.3 and subsequent models. All used the 9  in.  disk,  I
  think.

  I  think  all  GT6s  used  the  larger  9.75  in. disk with a
  correspondingly larger caliper. Possibly an earlier style  of
  caliper, paralleling that on early Spitfires, was used on the
  Vitesse and GT6 Mk. 1. I believe all GT6s, and most (possibly
  excluding  the  earliest)  Vitesses  used  an 8 in. rear drum
  brake. (The 1973 GT6 Mk.III, with the swing-spring rear  end,
  used self-adjusting brakes.)

  There  are  two common sizes of rear wheel cylinders: 5/8 in.
  and 3/4 in. I am not sure what usually went where;  it  might
  have  had as much to do with what master cylinder was used as
  with anything else. They are interchangeable, so long as it's
  done in pairs, of course!

  I  hope  this  helps  somewhat.  I do have reference books at
  home; if anyone would like more info, I'd be happy to try  to
  find  part numbers (in the case of calipers, at least Girling
  model numbers).

  Andy -I'll  never  sell  the  original  family  Herald;  I'll
  probably never get a good chassis frame for it either- Mace