Re: Jensen Healey rebuild, etc.

To: toms@stones.sharebase.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Jensen Healey rebuild, etc.
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 93 14:03:50 -0700
In message <9310291736.AA23150@stones.sharebase.com> Tom Sabo writes:

J-H engine part cost stuff deleted

> JENSEN HEALEY OWNERS...
> And I think this applies to the large TRIUMPHS as well...
> Remember to remove the mud exclusion plates from the inside of the
> rear wheel wells and clean out accumulated dirt.  Now that water is
> on the road, it will spray up and turn the accumulated dirt into mud,
> which will stay wet for weeks and rust away the bottom of your
> fender panels... first appearing as paint bubbles at the bottom
> of your fenders (Front fenders on some cars too).  When I first did
> my car (after a 6 month old paint job was ruined by paint bubbles...
> Don't trust a body shop to fix this right), I removed about 1 1/2
> inches of mud from the panels.  Next I brushed fiberglass resin
> over the bottom and lower sides.  Repeated... then painted the
> entire area black.  Worked beautifully... And will never rust again
> from the inside.
>Bondo & nitriding stuff deleted
>
> --toms.

Tom,
This is a REAL problem for the TR3 folks because Triumph assembled the car,
including the splash gards behind the front wheels before painting.  My best
guess is that afterwards, they stuck a wand past the seal & sprayed some Waxol
or equiv. on the bare metal behind the splash shield.

I had to replace the lower rear section of both wings because of that.  I took
the TR3A off the road in Feb. and removed the front wings in June.  Behind the
splash shields between the wing and kick pannel was about five inches of wet
dirt!.

All the rust is now gone.  Both the kick pannel and rear inside of the wings are
now painted.  The inside of the wing is undercoated over the paint, and the kick
panel is getting undercoating next week.  The same thing will happen to both
sides of the splash shield.

When the body tub gets back from the painter, The Waxol kid is going to spray
with Waxol in as many enclosed cavities as possible.

Just say no access to rust

TeriAnn

TeriAnn Wakeman             One of these days, I'll be old enough that
twakeman@apple.com          people will stop calling me crazy and start
LINK: TWAKEMAN              calling me eccentric.
408-974-2344        TR3A - TS75519L, MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, 109 - 164000561