Re: mgb oil-pressure

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: mgb oil-pressure
From: mburdick@unmc.edu (Mike Burdick)
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 93 17:10:07 CST
   > > My 3 Main Bearing engine block appears to be carefully painted
   > > red thoughout the INSIDE of the crankcase.  Is this MG original,
   > > or the work of a Previous Owner?
   > >
   > Interesting.  I noticed the inside of my TR3 engine block is painted
black, the
   > same colour as the exterior.  I suspect it is for rust protection.

I have heard of people doing this to make the oil drain back down to
the sump faster.  The theory is that oil runs down smooth shiny paint
faster than bare cast iron.  If you buy this theory, a better (read
"more expensive") method might be to use a grinder to smooth the walls
so you don't run the risk of paint flaking off the inside....

Mike
mburdick@unmc.edu