Re: mgb oil-pressure

To: mcdonald@dt1s27.intel.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: mgb oil-pressure
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 93 11:50:41 -0800
In message <9311111811.AA18576@dt1s27>  writes:
>  I posted this message a couple of weeks ago but really havent seen
>   any information that would answer any of my questions. So here it is again.
>

> I have a 67 mgb with a recently rebuilt engine. I belive I may have
> a oil pressure problem and thought I would throw a few questions out
> to anyone who may have some experienced similar problems.
>
> 1. What should I expect for oil-pressure out of a fresh motor? I am
>    seeing 10-15 psi at idle and 50-60 psi at 2000rpm. I am using
>    straight 30wt. When the motor is warmed up and the engine is at
>    idle the pressure drops to 10psi.
>
> 2. There also is about a 30-45 second delay before I see any movement
>    on the oil gauge when the engine is first started. This seemed a
>    little slow to me.
>
> 3. I also noticed that when I am running the engine at 2000+ rpm
>    the gauge reading isn`t steady. The gauge reading bounces between
>    50-60psi. It seems to bounce with a fairly consistant cycle.
>
> 4. Do these symtoms sound like a bad oil-pump? I have already
>    replaced the pressure-relief valve just in case it was the
>    problem.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. I have called several shops and
> haven`t got the same answer from any of them.
>
> Thanks
> Bob Mcdonald
> mcdonald@dt1s00.intel.com

Bob, I thought someone else would take this but..
Reads to me like you are not getting enough oil.  Your idle oil pressure should
be much higher. The oil pressure should remain steady above 2K RPM or so.  You
should see oil pressure much sooner than you do.

It could be a real problem or it could be instrumentation.  Assuming a
mechanical guage, if your line is clogged or pinched you might see some but I do
not think all the symptoms.

If you do not have enough oil you would see most of the symptoms but not the
time delay to getting oil pressure.

Guess #1 A leak in the oil pickup going into the oil pump.

Guess #2  Too much clearence between the oil pump rotors and the end plate.

TeriAnn

TeriAnn Wakeman             One of these days, I'll be old enough that
twakeman@apple.com          people will stop calling me crazy and start
LINK: TWAKEMAN              calling me eccentric.
408-974-2344        TR3A - TS75519L, MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, 109 - 164000561