Spitfire/GT6 springs, spit piston, Las Vegas?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire/GT6 springs, spit piston, Las Vegas?
From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 1994 12:25:14 -0500
++>
++> A quick question for the other Spitfire owners out there, how hard is it to
++> change the rear spring and u-joints? Is it possible to use a GT6 MkIII spri
ng
++> as they're supposed to be the same type of suspension, only the GT6 spring
is
++> heavier duty?

        I have a spitfire bodyshell on a GT6 frame (my spit6 ?).  Anyway,
I when I first put the car together, I kept the GT6 spring in the back.
The GT6 mk III (rotoflex) spring may or may not be stiffer than the late
spitfire spring (probably is), but it has a lot more arc.  The result is
the back end sits way too high.  I'm assuming the late GT6 mk III spring
is more compatible as the rear suspension is similar.  Still, I think you
will have problems with ride height because the rear end of the GT6 is
heavier than the spit.

        The question I have, is why do you want to change the rear spring?
If it is because the car sits funny, you are probably not going to gain
much by changing the rear spring.  The classic spitfire lean is a result
problems in both the front and rear of the car.  If you are trying to get
a firmer ride (higher spring rate?), you might want to check into having
another leaf added to your current spring.  But, I seem to recall people
on the list saying that you should add a lot of roll stiffness to the
front end of a spitfire before adding any in the rear to improve
suspension performance.

        I found another gem in the garage I'd like to pass on.  It is a
brand new high compression piston (with rings and pin, STD size) for a
a spit 1500 engine from TRF.  send me mail if you are interested.

        You know you have made some poor choices in life when places
like Las Vegas invite you stay for the weekend.  I know of at least
one guy who gets free airfare to Vegas.  You might as well get a letter
saying, "In the past you have given us so much money that we would
like to fly you out here to give us some more."  So, the other day I
got a catalog (which I didn't send for) from the Healey Surgeons.  Now
I know it is pretty common to get catalogs in the mail, but not from
british car parts suppliers... Hmm. :-)

--
William woodruff        woodruff@caen.engin.umich.edu