Re: caps, SOL Wear

To: WZEHRIN@CMS.CC.WAYNE.EDU
Subject: Re: caps, SOL Wear
From: pwv@tc.fluke.COM (Pat Vilbrandt)
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 94 09:14:21 PST
> Anyway, seriously, are there really SOL tee-shritsn-n-caps etc?  Can I get
> one?  I promise to wear it while working on my next wiper motor.

That's my department, I guess.  But first, for those of you just joining, a
little history.  Quite some time ago, ex-officio SOL member Ed Devinney came
up with a very nice design for a logo, which Ed so modestly described as:

> What does the SOL logo look like?  Well, it looks, well, like nothing else,
> except perhaps the Union Jack with some tools & car parts on it.
>
> No, scratch that.  Fade in "Rule, Britannia" and imagine my voice, only
> deeper and with better inflection:
>
>       "The SOL logo is an awe-inspiring figure of a crossed spanner and
>       connecting rod, rendered in rich carbon black, superimposed over
>       the ominous initials of our disorganization S O L, themselves
>       drawn in British Racing Green.  These devices are in turn placed
>       atop the flag of the Great Britain."
>
> It's tremendous, if I do say so myself.

When it came down to what people would like done with it, the responses were
evenly split between T-shirts, Jackets, Patches, Flags, Decals, ...  Since each
of these would require a separate setup charge, not to mention dealing with
separate companies, the whole thing died.

But then I came across a company in Alabama: Image Graphics, Inc. who will
do color imprinting from an electronic image, for any quantity, with no
setup charge.  And their prices aren't unreasonable either when you take into
account the relatively low quantities we would want plus the setup fees all
other places charge.

Their wares (& fares) include:

        Heavyweight T-shirts     $12.95         Sweatshirts     $17.95
        Polo Shirts              $17.95         Satin Jackets   $39.95
        Caps (Baseball, I think) $ 7.50         Mouse Pads      $12.95
        Ceramic Mugs             $ 7.50         Ceramic Steins  $12.95

(Prices, of course, subject to change.)

They use a color sublimation printing process, where, for fabric the color
appears to be "in" the weave of the fabric, not "over" the fabric like with a
standard screen printing process.  This process can't print white, so white is
the only color they have for their stock, except for polo shirts and jackets,
which can be ordered in "silver."

To order something at this time, you will need to contact Image Graphics
directly to place your order.  (An order form is attached at the end of this
message.)  They may or may not give you the pricing listed here, and they may
or may not require a $25 minimum order.  (Then again, they may - we have
collectively ordered over $2,000.00 worth of stuff so far!)

                Image Graphics, Inc.
                201 South Three Notch Street,
                Andalusia, Alabama  36420
                1 205 222 4166
                1 205 222 1010
                1 205 222 6586 FAX/BBS

Contact name is Paul Spears.

They should still have the images on file.  Make sure you specify that it's
an "SOL Order" (they should know what it means).  If they don't have the images
on hand, just let me know and I'll modem them a new set of images.  (Which I
should probably do anyway to correct a little *ahem* problem.  But that's
another story better left to the archives...)

Here is the original offer I sent out:

(DO NOT SEND ANY ORDERS TO ME AT THIS TIME!)

> Descriptions of the merchandise:
>
>     T-shirts, sweatshirts, and polo shirts are available in 50/50 cotton/
> poly blend or a synthetic product called "UltraCool".  This last type is an
> athletic-shirt type of material that wicks moisture away from your body and
> therefore is "cooler" to wear.  T-shirts are also available in 100% cotton.
> "UltraCool" and 100% cotton items should be ordered 1 size larger than you
> would normally need.  (The cotton shrinks, the "UltraCool" items run on the
> small side, according to Paul Spears @ Image Graphics.)
>
>     All items are available in white.  Caps can also be ordered with a white
> "front" for the logo, and a black, navy blue, red, or maroon body.  (No BRG.
> Sorry!)  Satin jackets and polo shirts are also available in a silver color.
> (The silver polo shirts may require an additional week or 2 of lead time.)
>
>     The logos will be sized as large as possible on the front of t-shirts
> and sweatshirts and on the back of the jackets.  For the polo shirts the
> logo will be in the breast pocket area roughly 3 1/2" W x 2 1/2" H (9 cm W
> x 6.4 cm H).  There will also be an option to have a breast pocket sized
> logo on the front of the jacket and the t-shirt, and (for an additional
> $5.00) a breast pocket logo on the front and a full sized logo on the back
> of t-shirts and jackets.  The logo on the mugs and steins will also be
> roughly 3 1/2" W x 2 1/2" H (9 cm W x 6.4 cm H).  The logo on the mouse pads
> will be, well, mouse pad size! (10.25" W x 8.1" H)

   Pat Vilbrandt      Fluke Corporation      Everett, Washington USA
   pwv@tc.fluke.COM or: { uunet, uw-beaver, sun, microsoft }!fluke!pwv

                              T - S H I R T S
Specify "U" for UltraCool, "50" for 50/50, or "C" for 100% Cotton in "Fabric"
____________________________                          _______________________
|  Filename   |  Filename  |__________________________|Total  Price         |
|(Front Print)|(Back Print)|Fabric| S | M |LG |XL |XXL| pcs X each  = TOTAL |
+=============+============+======+===+===+===+===+===+=====================+
| SOL8x10a.cdr|------------|      |   |   |   |   |   |     @$12.95 =       |
+-------------+------------+------+---+---+---+---+---+---------------------+
|  SOL3x4a.cdr|------------|      |   |   |   |   |   |     @$12.95 =       |
+-------------+------------+------+---+---+---+---+---+---------------------+
|  SOL3x4a.cdr|SOL8x10a.cdr|      |   |   |   |   |   |     @$17.95 =       |
+-------------+------------+------+---+---+---+---+---+---------------------+

                         S W E A T  -  S H I R T S
Specify "U" for UltraCool or "50" for 50/50 in "Fabric" below.
____________________________                          _______________________
|  Filename   |  Filename  |__________________________|Total  Price         |
|(Front Print)|(Back Print)|Fabric| S | M |LG |XL |XXL| pcs  X each = TOTAL |
+=============+============+======+===+===+===+===+===+=====================+
| SOL8x10a.cdr|------------|      |   |   |   |   |   |     @$17.95 =       |
+-------------+------------+------+---+---+---+---+---+---------------------+

                           P O L O  -  S H I R T S
Specify "U" for UltraCool or "50" for 50/50 in "Fabric" below.
Polo shirts available in (W)hite or (S)ilver
_______________                                _______________________
|  Filename   |________________________________|Total  Price         |
|(Front Print)|Color|Fabric| S | M |LG |XL |XXL| pcs  X each = TOTAL |
+=============+=====+======+===+===+===+===+===+=====================+
| SOL3x4a.cdr |     |      |   |   |   |   |   |     @$17.95 =       |
+-------------+-----+------+---+---+---+---+---+---------------------+
| SOL3x4a.cdr |     |      |   |   |   |   |   |     @$17.95 =       |
+-------------+-----+------+---+---+---+---+---+---------------------+

                         S A T I N  -  J A C K E T S
Specify "U" for UltraCool or "50" for 50/50 in "Fabric" below.
Satin jackets available in (W)hite or (S)ilver
___________________________                           ______________________
|  Filename   |  Filename  |_________________________|Total  Price         |
|(Front Print)|(Back Print)|Color| S | M |LG |XL |XXL| pcs  X each = TOTAL |
+=============+============+=====+===+===+===+===+===+=====================+
| ----------- |SOL8x10a.cdr|     |   |   |   |   |   |     @$39.95 =       |
+-------------+------------+-----+---+---+---+---+---+---------------------+
| SOL3x4a.cdr |------------|     |   |   |   |   |   |     @$39.95 =       |
+-------------+------------+-----+---+---+---+---+---+---------------------+
| SOL3x4a.cdr |SOL8x10a.cdr|     |   |   |   |   |   |     @$44.95 =       |
+-------------+------------+-----+---+---+---+---+---+---------------------+

                             C A P S
Caps available in (Wht)/wht, (Blk)/wht, (Navy)/wht, (Red)/wht, & (Mar)oon/wht
_______________      _______________________
|  Filename   |______|Total  Price         |
|             |Color | pcs  X each = TOTAL |
+=============+======+=====================+
| SOL3x4a.cdr |    /W|     @ $7.50 =       |
+-------------+------+---------------------+
| SOL3x4a.cdr |    /W|     @ $7.50 =       |
+-------------+------+---------------------+
| SOL3x4a.cdr |    /W|     @ $7.50 =       |
+-------------+------+---------------------+

                M O U S E   P A D S
_____________________________________
|  Filename   |Total  Price         |
|             | pcs  X each = TOTAL |
+=============+=====================+
| SOL8x10a.cdr|     @$12.95 =       |
+-------------+---------------------+

          C E R A M I C   M U G S
_____________________________________
|  Filename   |Total  Price         |
|             | pcs  X each = TOTAL |
+=============+=====================+
| SOL3x4a.cdr |     @ $7.50 =       |
+-------------+---------------------+

        C E R A M I C   S T E I N S
_____________________________________
|  Filename   |Total  Price         |
|             | pcs  X each = TOTAL |
+=============+=====================+
| SOL3x4a.cdr |     @$12.95 =       |
+-------------+---------------------+
|             Terms and Conditions                  |                        |
|                                                   |   Sub-Total: $_________|
| All orders must include payment via check, m.o.,  |                        |
| or credit card to include S&H as outlined below.  |         S&H: $_________|
|      Prices quoted in U.S. dollars.               |                        |
|                                                   | Grand Total: $_________|
|   EXACT COLOR MATCHING NOT GUARANTEED.  NO RETURNS OF CUSTOMIZED PRODUCTS. |
+=====================================+======================================+
|     SHIPPING AND HANDLING RATES     |         CUSTOMER INFORMATION         |
+=====================================+======================================+
|        UPS GROUND (Standard)        |                                      |
| Purchase of up to $50.00 Add  $5.00 | Name:________________________________|
|        $50.01 to $100.00 Add $10.00 |                                      |
|       $100.01 to $200.00 Add $15.00 | Ship to:_____________________________|
|       $200.01 to $500.00 Add $20.00 |                                      |
+-------------------------------------+ _____________________________________|
|        UPS BLUE (2-Day Air)         |                                      |
| Purchase of up to $50.00 Add $10.00 | _____________________________________|
|        $50.01 to $100.00 Add $20.00 |                                      |
|       $100.01 to $200.00 Add $25.00 | _____________________________________|
|       $200.01 to $500.00 Add $30.00 |                                      |
+-------------------------------------+ Phone:_______________________________|
|        UPS RED  (1-Day Air)         |                                      |
| Purchase of up to $50.00 Add $20.00 |  __ UPS GRD  __ UPS BLUE  __ UPS RED |
|        $50.01 to $100.00 Add $30.00 |      __ FEDEX        __ USPS         |
|       $100.01 to $200.00 Add $35.00 |        __ Check    __ Money Order    |
|       $200.01 to $500.00 Add $40.00 |  __ VISA   __ MC   __ DISC  __ AMEX  |
|  Most orders shipped within 24-48   | Card #_______________________________|
| hrs. of receipt.  Federal Express & |                           Exp.   /   |
| Airborne Express delivery available | Name on card:                        |
|  International shipping available   |                                      |