Re: MGB Pushrods

To: GNH.Wbst207V@xerox.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Pushrods
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 94 09:55:05 -0800
In message <" 1-Feb-94 10:52:10".*.George_N_Haynes.Wbst207V@Xerox.com>  writes:
> TeriAnn,
> <... my MGBGT's pushrods are a different length than the manual says.
> Therefore the new one I had shipped overnight to me was about 4 inches
> too short.>
>
> Early B engines were like MGA engines: long cam followers and short
> pushrods.  Somewhere along the way (1968-70, maybe...) the cam followers
> became much shorter and the pushrods much longer; something like a 2"
> difference.  Someone must have swapped engines or cam/followers/pushrods
> in the lifetime of your B.  Or maybe your supplier accidentally sent you the
> wrong size.  Except for the frustration and time lost you'll have the B going
> again soon.
>
> BTW, you SHOULD pull all the other pushrods and look carefully for other
> damage/straightness.  Sorry, the beginning of shipwright's disease again.
> Good luck.  Don't let the car get to you!
> George Haynes

George,

My car was supposed to have the short pushrods.  I made multiple calls to Moss &
TRF yesterday.  When the dust settled, it was determined that:

1. The puch rods were not stock for the car.

2. They were not stock MG long push rods nor Kent push rods

3. The push rod Moss sent my came out of the adjacent bin and was for a sprite
so it wouldn't have been correct anyway (it was midway in length betwen the MG
long and short pushrods).

I also thought that if one pushrod died possibly because of too large a valve
gap then the others were suspect.

So I ordered a new set of Kent push rods from TRF just before the closed on 31
Jan.

Shipwrites disease? me? naw!  But while I was at it I did order the parts I
would need to installe the missing lower clam on the exhaust down pipe, and new
down pipe to to exhaust header gaskets.  And a centering kit for my center
counsle.  Hmm maybe it would be a good time to rebuild the front suspension....

TeriAnn Wakeman             One of these days, I'll be old enough that
twakeman@apple.com          people will stop calling me crazy and start
LINK: TWAKEMAN              calling me eccentric.
408-974-2344        TR3A - TS75519L, MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, 109 - 164000561