Re: Suspension bushings

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, jey@frame.com
Subject: Re: Suspension bushings
From: flarsen@uclink.berkeley.edu (Flemming Larsen)
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 1994 10:24:51 -0800
> From: jey@frame.com (Jeff Young)
> Subject: Suspension bushings and Ginettas

> I have a '65 Ginetta G4 with a BMC rear axle located laterally
> by a central a-arm and fore/aft by a trailing arm at either side:

>   ==        ==    ==       ==
>   ||        \\____//       ||
>   ||         \\  //        ||
> __||__________\\//_________||__
> __==___________<>__________==__

> The trailing arms have a metal-rubber-metal bushing at either
> end; the a-arm has the same bushings in the legs and a spherical
> bushing at the point.

> First question: does anyone know where I can get replacement
> bushings?  I believe a similar set-up is used on the back of
> Lotus 6's and 7's.  I believe the bushings have an ID of 1/2",
> and OD of 1 1/8" and a width of 1 3/8" (I'll check to make sure
> if anyone knows where I can get something close).

This setup looks very much like the one on my Lotus Seven. I bought
new rubber bushings from Dave Bean some years ago. I'll measure them
and let you know their dimensions as soon as I figure out which box
I put them in. One modification that was done by some PO was to
replace the rubber bushing under the center of the differential with
a spherical bearing.

Does anybody know: Is Dave Bean no longer the west coast distributor
of Caterham Sevens or are they out of business all together?

- -- Flemming Larsen